As in most tropical countries, Costa Rica
has dry and rainy seasons. The rainy season lasts from May to November and the dry season runs between December to April. Be prepared for sudden downpours during the rainy season. Temperature-wise, expect the weather to range from 75°-85°. As this is a tropical country, it can get very hot,
especially in the afternoons!
Please note: in Costa Rica it is perfectly ok to eat fresh fruit and vegetables as well as drink the water.
Suggested Packing List:
Must - Haves:
- Two refillable water bottles
- Passport. Must be valid for up to 6 months after your scheduled departure date from Costa Rica
- Short-sleeved shirts (we recommend thin, breathable shirts as it is very hot and humid during the afternoons)
- A warm sweatshirt / fleece (it can get cool at night)
- Rain coat (light weight, water resistant for sudden, unexpected tropical showers)
- Gym / sportswear (for hiking / service)
- Under garments, socks
- Bathing suits
- A light pair of long pants
- One pair of flip flops / sandals / water shoes
- One pair of tennis shoes / closed toe sandals (these are for hiking and WILL get dirty)
Bath / Personal:
- Personal medication
- Prescription sea sickness pills or patch, if applicable
- Glasses / contacts / contact solution
- Personal toiletries
- Bug spray
- Books and/or magazines
- Watch or small alarm clock
- Mini-flashlight / headlamp
- Extra batteries (for your flashlight)
- Light day bag or pack (small backpack would be ideal)
- Sunglasses, particularly if you’re sensitive to sunlight
- Personal snacks that you may need or crave (such as granola bars or power bars).
- Disposable camera, film camera or digital camera - and film or memory card(s) for digital camera
- Linens / blankets
- Hand soap
- Bath Towels (Beach towels are not provided)
- Electrical adapters are not needed.
*We advise that you should bring enough lightweight clothes to avoid having to do laundry during the trip.
*Electrical outlets in Costa Rica are the same as in the United States. Voltage is 110 volts. There is no adapter needed if coming from the U.S.