The Caribbean Coast of Costa Rica is a tropical paradise. With all the lush greenery comes a chance of rain throughout the year, so be prepared for the occasional sudden downpour. Temperature-wise, expect the weather to range from 75°-90+°. As this is a tropical country, it can get very hot, especially in the afternoons!
Suggested Packing List:
- In Costa Rica it is perfectly ok to eat fresh fruit and vegetables as well as drink the water.
- Due to the location of our service site, there is no air-conditioning in the hotel during our time in Parismina. Please take this into consideration when packing.
Must - Haves:
- Two refillable water bottles
- Passport. Must be valid for up to 6 months after your scheduled departure date from Costa Rica
- Bug Spray
- Short-sleeved shirts (we recommend thin, breathable shirts as it is very hot and humid during the afternoons)
- A warm sweatshirt / fleece (it can get cool at night)
- Rain coat (light weight, water resistant for sudden, unexpected tropical showers)
- Gym / sportswear (for hiking / volunteering)
- Under garments, socks
- Bathing suits
- Light pairs of long pants and high socks as well as closed toed shoes (mandatory during night patrols)
- Hat & handkerchief / bandanna
- One pair of flip flops / sandals / water shoes
- One pair of tennis shoes / closed toe sandals (comfortable shoes for hiking/day-to-day activities)
Bath / Personal:
- Personal medication
- Prescription sea sickness pills or patch, if applicable
- Dramamine (if driving on windy/rough roads makes you nauseous)
- Glasses / contacts / contact solution
- Personal toiletries
- Bug spray
- Bath towel (not provided at turtle conservancy)
- Books and/or magazines
- Watch or small alarm clock
- Headlamp with a red light setting for the turtles (they are sensitive to light)
- Binoculars for boat tour - excellent bird watching
- Light day bag or pack (small backpack would be ideal)
- Sunglasses, particularly if you’re sensitive to sunlight
- Personal snacks that you may need or crave (such as granola bars or power bars). There are not many stores around the community we stay in so please bring any necessary snacks with you.
- Disposable camera, film camera or digital camera - and film or memory card(s) for digital camera
- Linens / blankets
- Hand soap
- Bath Towels (with the exception of the nights spent at the turtle conservancy)
- Electrical adapters are not needed.
*Laundry service is not available during the trip. We advise that you should bring enough lightweight clothes to avoid having to do laundry during the trip.
*Electrical outlets in Costa Rica are the same as in the United States. Voltage is 110 volts. There is no adapter needed if coming from the U.S.