A Visa IS required to travel to India. You are encouraged to begin the visa application process 6-12 weeks prior to your departure. Please note: the visa is valid beginning on the day it is issued. For example, a 6 month visa issued on January 1st would be valid until June 30th.
Applications can be made either through a visa processor (i.e.- G3 Visas
) or directly through the Indian Embassy.
- There are two ways to apply for the Indian Visa
- Visa Processor (Recommended)- G3 Visas will process the application for you directly through the Indian Embassy. Simply fill out the form attached at the bottom of the page, send G3 your passport and all required documents/photos and they will process the visa directly through the embassy. Note: G3 visas charges an administrative cost for this option
- Directly through the Indian Embassy- You can apply for your visa online through the Indian Embassy here. Follow the instructions on the site utilizing the information below.
- The visa will be placed inside of the traveler's passport. You will need to mail your valid passport in with your visa application. Passports must have at least two blank pages available. Passports must be valid for at least six months prior to its expiration date.
- Apply for a single entry visa. Please note that a single entry visa is only good for 90 days, so please plan accordingly when applying for your visa so that the expiration date is AFTER the last day of your trip.
- Apply for a TOURIST Visa. You may be denied a visa if you apply for a volunteer visa, as this is referring to a long term volunteer visa (i.e, Peace Corps) which requires more time for approval and is more expensive.
- Enter the trip start date or the date that your flight arrives into the country.
- You must have a flight itinerary to apply for a visa. Write "Yes" if you have a flight itinerary, and write your ticket number. Your travel agent or the airline will know your ticket number if it is not written on your itinerary.
- Although you may only be traveling with $200-$300 in cash, we recommend writing $2000 to show proof of funds, financial stability, and the ability to enter and exit India.
- When you are asked on the visa application about the purpose of travel click the box saying “Tourism.”
- For in country contacts, please put the street address of the Home Base we will be staying at:
- Harkirat Singh Sahota (name)
- Tika Gamru, Khajanchi (address)
- Mohalla, Dharamsala (city)
- Himachal Pradesh, 176215 (state and zip)
- India (country)
- When prompted to input a contact person put: Harkirat Singh Sahota, Phone Number: 011 91 1892 227617