As South Africa
is in the Southern Hemisphere, the seasons are reversed. Winter, between May and September, is the dry season where lows can reach the 50’s and highs are regularly in the 80’s. In Summer, October to April, there is a greater chance for rain with temperatures in the consistently in the 80’s and 90’s.
Suggested Packing List:
Must - Haves:
- Two refillable water bottles
- Passport. Must be valid for up to 6 months after your scheduled and have at least 2 blank pages.
- departure date from South Africa
- Flashlight/headlamp (with extra batteries)
Bath / Personal:
- Short-sleeved shirts (we recommend thin, breathable shirts as it can be hot and humid during the afternoons)
- A warm sweatshirt / fleece (it can get cool at night, esp. during winter)
- Rain jacket (light weight, water resistant for sudden, unexpected showers especially during summer)
- Gym / sportswear (for hiking / outdoor activities)
- Under garments, socks
- Bathing suits
- Pants (light pants are best for outdoor activities)
- One pair of flip flops / sandals / water shoes
- One comfortable pair of closed-toed shoes (these are for hiking/bush walks and may get dirty)
- Personal medication
- Glasses / contacts / contact solution
- Personal toiletries
- Bug spray
- Books and/or magazines
- Watch or small alarm clock
- Light day bag or pack (small backpack would be ideal)
- Sunglasses, particularly if you’re sensitive to sunlight
- Personal snacks that you may need or crave (such as granola bars or power bars).
- Disposable camera, film camera or digital camera - and film or memory card(s) for digital camera
- Optional: Donations such as old clothes, stationary & small gifts from home for the community visit
Discover Corps Provides:
- Linens / blankets
*We advise that you should bring enough lightweight clothes to avoid having to do laundry during the trip. However, laundry is available during the trip.
*Electrical outlets in South Africa are 3-prong with round pins. Voltage is 220 volts. You will need an adapter if coming from the U.S.
*You will have access to an ATM at the beginning of the trip. Please be advised that the hotels only accept cash for the bar bills (ie- any extra drinks or snacks).