1. A Visa is required to travel to Tanzania. You are encouraged to begin the visa application process 6-12 weeks prior to your departure.
Applications can be made either through a visa processor (i.e.- G3 Visas
) or directly through the Tanzanian Embassy.
- There are two ways to apply for the Tanzanian Visa
- Visa Processor (Recommended)- G3 Visas will process the application for you directly through the Tanzanian Embassy. Simply fill out the form attached at the bottom of this page, send G3 your passport and all required documents/photos and they will process the visa directly through the embassy. Note: G3 visas charges an administrative fee for this option
- Directly through the Tanzanian Embassy- You can apply for your visa online through the Tanzanian Embassy here. Follow the instructions on the site utilizing the information below.
- The visa will be placed inside of the traveler's passport. You will need to mail your valid passport in with your visa application. Passports must have at least two blank pages available. Passports must be valid for at least six months prior to its expiration date.
- Apply for a TOURIST Visa. You may be denied a visa if you apply for a volunteer visa, as this is referring to a long term volunteer visa (i.e.- Peace Corps) which requires more time for approval and is more expensive.
- However, volunteer permits are required for any person to do volunteer work in Tanzania. Discover Corps purchases these volunteer permits and you will receive them upon your arrival to the program.
- Enter the trip start date or the date that your flight arrives into the country.
- You must have a flight itinerary to apply for a visa. Write "Yes" if you have a flight itinerary, and write your ticket number. Your travel agent or the airline will know your ticket number if it is not written on your itinerary.
- Although you may only be traveling with $200-$300 in cash, we recommend writing $2000 to show proof of funds, financial stability, and the ability to enter and exit Tanzania.
- When you are asked on the visa application about the purpose of travel click the box saying “Tourism.”
- For contact people within Tanzania, input:
- Esther Simba
- PO Box 7461
- +255 764-771-713
2. A Volunteer Permit is required by the Tanzanian Government to volunteer in Tanzania. These are obtained after your arrival in Tanzania by our local staff. Discover Corps covers all costs and administrative work involved.
In order to process the permits, you MUST bring the following documents to Tanzania:
- 7 color passport-type photographs
- Resume/CV (a basic resume will suffice)
- 3 color copies of your passport photo page